Tuesday, December 30, 2014

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! (A Letter to Santa Claus)

My husband's favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story in which  Ralphie wants a BB gun but the adults all tell him, "You'll shoot your eye out!" It's taken me years to appreciate this movie, but now I look forward to seeing it every year.

A few months ago, I found a newspaper clipping at newspapers.com which was a "Dear Santa" letter from my husband's grand uncle (his grandmother's brother). I was amused to see that this 7-year-old was also asking for a BB gun. But, he was also asking for things my husband's other grandparents talked about getting at Christmas: fruit & candy. Frank also seems concerned that Santa might not be able to find them since they are moving, which is a great genealogical find!

Here's the clipping from Haskell News dated the 18th of December, 1919:

Dear Santa Claus, Haskell News, Haskell, Oklahoma, 18 Dec 1919,
page 12, column 3, digital image newspapers.com, (http://www.newspapers.com, accessed 13 Sep 2014)
Do we share common ancestors? I'd love to talk! Please email me at drleeds@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...