Thursday, March 3, 2016

An Unusual Name: Freelove "Lovey" Randolph (Fearless Female Day 3)

As part of Women's History Month, Lisa Alzo has created 31 blogging prompts which you can find on her blog, The Accidental Genealogist. If you're participating in the Fearless Females blogging challenge this month, let me know & I'll hop over & read your posts!


March 3rd prompt: Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you've come across in your family tree.

My Big Sister & Me

Origins of My Name

Before I was born, my sister's best friend was a girl named Dana. My mother loved that name, and since they moved shortly before I was born, they decided to name me Dana! As far as my middle name, they just liked the way it sounded together. (And, so do I!)

Most Unusual Female Name on My Tree

Last year, when I did the Fearless Female posts, I only got through Day 3. So, I did do a post about female names. For the "most unusual" female name, I had chosen my 3rd great grandmother, Ellender Bookout. So, this year I thought I'd choose another unusual name...

Freelove "Lovey" Randolph (1794-1882) is the daughter of my 5th great grandparents, Willoughby James Randolph (1765-1822) and Frances "Frankey" Thornton (1772-1848), which are kind of unusual names in themselves. Their son, William (1792-1867) is my 4th great grandfather, and a very common name. But, Willoughby and Frankey had a two other children with unusual names: one was a son named Thornton, obviously named for his mother's maiden name, and another son was named Brooks.

I also have another Freelove in my tree. This Freelove is an aunt of Lovey's father, Willoughby Randolph. She was born about 1745 and died in 1785.

Lovey Howell.jpg
Mrs. "Lovey" Howell from Gillian's Island (image from Wikipedia)
On Gilligan's Island Mr. Howell calls his wife, "Lovey." I always thought that was just a term of endearment. But, Wikipedia says her name was  Lovell and that's where she got her nickname, "Lovey."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...